I love my copy-editor. I am in AWE of my copy-editor. She has made ENTANGLED much, much better in so many ways. Here are a few of them:
1. She pointed out my frankly ridiculous overuse of the J-word and managed to cull some of those bad boys. I culled a few more when I went through the copy-edit. It was very satisfying.
2. She got to know my characters so well that she was able to say 'I don't think Grace would say something like that'. Of course, I immediately thought 'Ha! You are WRONG! Nobody knows my characters like I do. If I wrote it, it MUST be something Grace would say.' And then I read it. And realized how very wrong I was.
3. She managed to get me to change a bit of the manuscript that was (ever so slightly) morally dubious. Again, at first I was all 'I LIKE being morally dubious! Morally dubious is what I do best!' And then I thought about it. And realized how very wrong I was.
4. She made me look at ENTANGLED with a much more critical eye. I got rid of some bits that made me cringe and looked at every sentence afresh. This was time-consuming and brain-hurty, but definitely worthwhile.
5. There's a word I've been spelling wrong for years and years. Copy-editing Genius Lady drew this to my attention. I hung my head in shame.
So I hereby declare today to be International Love Your Copy-editor Day. I bow down to these unsing heroes of the publishing world. They deserve thanks and praise and MEDALS.