Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Cry me a river

Yesterday was a slowwwwww writing day. I thought I would NEVER finish writing a certain scene, and it wasn't even a particularly interesting scene either. But I persevered, and little by little, I got there. And my characters started talking about something I hadn't expected them to talk about - not yet anyway. And the opening notes of a song came on my blip.fm playlist and I CRIED! 


Was it the song? Was it the scene? Was it a combination of the two? (I strongly suspect the latter.) Whatever it was, it reinvigorated me. It made me want to keep writing. So I listened to the song again. And again. And again. I can be obsessive like that. And the words started to flow... at last.


'What's the song?' I hear you cry. My Heart Will Go On, by Celine Dion, perhaps?
Nope. It's this song, recommended to me by musical guru Jenny at Wondrous Reads. Please enjoy.



Now I'm officially on the lookout for songs that make people cry. Recommendations please!

4 comments:

  1. Classical music makes me cry: Adagio for Strings being the main culprit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna- Ooh yes, classical music gets me too - Pachelbel's Canon in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say, although I have pretty awesome taste in music for the most part (my favourites being indie and cover) the songs that make me cry are really pretty embarrassing. My picks are Vincent by Don McLean (mostly the second half) and Judy Garland singing Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas. How To Save A Life is quite possibly too classy to make me shed a tear. I require schmaltz.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren- Vincent is a BEAUTIFUL song. No need for embarrassment! I also like Have Yourself... Good choices!

    ReplyDelete