Saturday, May 8, 2010

Crappy week ends on a high

This week has been RUBBISH and ACK and BOBBINS. But I'll say one thing for it - it ended well. Two things happened within the space of 24 hours that did much to wash away the bobbinsness (bobbinity?) of the previous days:

1. I met Michael Rosen. And talked to him and everything! The man is a legend, pure and simple. Oh, and he's also a genius. Scarily clever.

So that was good, hanging with a former Children's Laureate. And then Friday happened. And an email appeared in my inbox. The email had an attachment, and the attachment was...

2. MY BOOK COVER! Well, an early version of my book cover. There will be more versions to see - there are almost always more verions to see. But this version is... beautiful! Can't say much more at the mo (sorry!), but I'm loving the way it's going. Yay Quercus!

I feel I must confess that I was very, very, VERY nervous about seeing the cover. Not because I thought that Quercus wouldn't do a good job, but because I know me. Not only am I picky when it comes to covers anyway, but in my day job I am an editor. This means that I spend a good deal of time looking at cover designs and commenting on them. And when I say 'commenting on them', this can mean 'trying to find a nice way of saying "Go back to the drawingboard"'. Of course the designers I work with are exceptionally talented, so this is a rare occurence. But still, it happens (sometimes due to a poor briefing from the editor... ahem).

I can't tell you how relieved I am that opening up that email attachment caused me to nod in appreciation and smile (then get a little bit shaky and emotional), rather than make me get all editorial and super-critical.

Seeing your name on a book cover (even though it's not final) is very, very special. I can't even begin to imagine how I'll feel when I have the actual, real book in my hands. In fact, I've come over all peculiar just thinking about it. Must go and have a cuppa.

Happy Saturday to you all!

9 comments:

  1. Awesome news about the cover! It would be so tough to see your novel go out with a cover you weren't keen on, so this must be a real relief. When can we see?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would be exactly the same Cat! But good news is that you like the early cover. Can't wait to see it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for new cover! I'm looking forward to seeing the final version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember when I first saw the cover of my picture book. It was the sort of feeling you wish you could bottle... but never mind about that. You actually met Michael Rosen!! I'm so jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm guessing it'll be a wee while yet before the final, final cover is ready for you. But I can assure you, I will be posting it the very second I'm allowed!

    Rosalind - he's SO nice! And just... wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful email to get. It must start to make the whole process real and final.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, great week!
    I would love to meet Michael Rosen. Who doesn't love We're Going On A Bear Hunt?!

    Congratulations! I'm pleased to hear the cover is coming along nicely. I'm imagining something abstract rather than faces...

    Bobbinity = is a word chock full of awesomeness. How did you think that up?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Donna- It definitely makes it feel real! Very, very exciting times!

    Becky- I think maybe a campaign to spread to use of 'bobbinity' might be in order? And as for the cover... hmm. You could be wrong. Or you could be right. I ain't telling!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy weekend! I'm glad your week ended on a high. How cool to see your name on the cover!

    ReplyDelete