Sunday, January 3, 2010

First edit: done and dusted

Yay! I finished! I cut about 2000 words. There are two bits I might save for another book, but I might not bother. They'll always be there though, in draft five or six or whichever one it was. That version of the novel was OK. This version is better, without a doubt. Aren't editors wonderfully clever? (And no, I'm not just saying that because I wear an editor hat from Monday to Friday. BTW my editor hat is green, with bells on.)

Still working on the title though. I might be making progress there, thanks to one of my Twitter buddies who will be even more profusely thanked if her suggestion ends up on the book. Fingers crossed!

Anyone else out there have any book-title troubles?

5 comments:

  1. I would love to see that hat LOL.
    Good luck with finalising the title.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for finishing your edits! Some sort of celebration is certainly warranted...

    As I tweeted, I haven't done my books' titles, my publisher has. My next book (after the third Magic Thief one) was called "Crow King's Daughter" and my editor said, when sending the details of the book deal, that they will definitely be changing it. Which makes sense, if you say the title fast: "Croaking Daughter." Not too good. Fortunately, during the writing process the king turned into a queen, so now it's "Crow Queen's Daughter," which I hope will stick because I like it.

    Good luck with your title!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Becky. The hat is majestic... not quite as cool as my writer hat though!

    Sarah - Crow Queen's Daughter is a good title. Fingers crossed it sticks! Have you been OK with all the titles the publisher has come up with then? BTW am celebrating by watching too many episodes of 24!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Titles are the hardest things...but it's such a great feeling when you hit on the right thing. Suddenly the whole book comes into focus! Let us know when you find it.

    ReplyDelete