Thursday, January 28, 2010

The genius of Laurie Halse Anderson

If there are any YA fans out there who haven't yet discovered the complete and utter genius that is LHA, I'd suggest you get discovering right this second. Seriously, stop reading this blog post and run to your local book shop. OK, OK, you can have a quick cup of tea first, but promise me you'll do it soooooon.


I think Laurie's books are big over in the States (if anyone could confirm this, I'd be interested to know), but as far as I'm concerned, she deserves recognition and popularity everywhere.  All over the world, nay, the universe. She is THAT good.


For starters, I'd recommend SPEAK and WINTERGIRLS. Both books tackle serious issues, but I'd never categorize them as issues books. The writing is simply gorgeous. Laurie also writes brilliant historical YA (I'm dying to get my hands on a copy of CHAINS), AND picture books. That's a whole lot of talent wrapped up in one writer lady.


If any of you do read (or have read) any of Laurie's books, I'd love to hear your thoughts.


11 comments:

  1. LHA is simply the best - I totally agree. Speak renders me speechless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one on my TBR pile but I haven't read it yet: Twisted. Have you read that one? If not, when I've read it would you like my copy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky- Thanks dude, but I've read Twisted - it's really good. But I love Speak and Wintergirls more. I think Scholastic UK are publishing Wintergirls next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is VERY popular here in the USA, you're right. Wintergirls is my favorite, although I have not yet read Chains (although I know that the sequel is called Forge).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read Speak and I thought it was brilliant through-and-through.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liam- Thanks for confirming that!

    Luisa- I think Wintergirls is even better - hard to believe, I know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Check your email - I have a spare copy of Chains!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to have to read this Speak book. Everyone is rating it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm ordering Speak today. I've always wanted to read it but your post reminded me and there's no time like the present. I also really want to see the film version, which sounds promising too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lauren- I hope you like it! Am pretty sure you will. And the film is good - Kristen Stewart is fab in it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yup, LHA's books do very well here. Wintergirls hit the NYTimes bestseller list for a week or two, as I recall.

    Chains is terrific, though it's marketed here as a middle grade, and it felt more YA to me, despite the age of its young protagonist. And Speak, of course, is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete