Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The writing blues

'I have forced myself to begin writing when I have been utterly exhausted, when I've felt my soul as thin as a playing card, when nothing has seemed worth enduring for another five minutes ... and somehow the activity of writing changes everything. Or appears to do so.'
-Joyce Carol Oates

This is one of my favourite writing quotes, and I usually find it to be 100% true. But a couple of days ago, the opposite was the case. I sat down to write feeling fine and dandy, and by the time I'd written 1000 words I felt hollow and just... bleak. Maybe that's what you get when you write depressing scenes in which people do HORRIBLE things.

Note to self: include fluffy bunny rabbits and ickle kittens in next scene. And do NOT kill them.

BOOK NEWS: we're getting closer to a title, and a designer will be briefed about the cover very soon. My book's going to have a cover and EVERYTHING! How awesome is that?
(Answer: very.)

6 comments:

  1. I concur that book news is awesome! And I agree with the sentiment in the quote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, really sorry to hear about the writing blues. But - cover! Title! That's all very exciting stuff. Looking forward to more news!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am weirdly nervous about the title and the cover! But also unbelievably excited... real books in real shops have covers. Mine will too. Yay! The writing blues have been banished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On my goodness! I am so excited for you. Can't wait to hear the title!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's ace! Can't wait for you to reveal a cover & title :)

    ReplyDelete