Thursday, January 7, 2010

I am excited about... When I was Joe, by Keren David


Man, I love this cover. It's even better real life. That boy's eyelashes are so luscious! Those blood spatters are embossed AND spot UV (yes, I am a geek, but I'm OK with that). AND the book is nice and chunky. I want to read it NOW!

Here's a synopsis for you:
When Ty witnesses a stabbing, his own life is in danger from the criminals he s named, and he and his mum have to go into police protection. Ty has a new name, a new look and a cool new image life as Joe is good, especially when he gets talent spotted as a potential athletics star, special training from an attractive local celebrity and a lot of female attention. But his mum can t cope with her new life, and the gangsters will stop at nothing to flush them from hiding. Joe s cracking under extreme pressure, and then he meets a girl with dark secrets of her own. This wonderfully gripping and intelligent novel depicts Ty/Joe's confused sense of identity in a moving and funny story that teenage boys and girls will identify with - a remarkable debut from a great new writing talent.

Why don't you head over to Keren's blog where she's running a contest involving boys in hoodies? Surely the best kind of contest there is.

I've been thinking recently about what a writer actually DOES on publication day. My book should be out this time next year, so I really think I should start planning now. In my head the day involves copious amounts of champagne and roaming around London in an open-top bus waving to strangers. OK, not really. In my head I have no clue. Please, someone, tell me what it's like OR what it SHOULD be like.

8 comments:

  1. Whooo! Thank you! Well in my case I did have lunch with my agent planned to celebrate, but now it's very icy and both kids are home from school so I may have to cancel. Huh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done promotional events at a local school on two of my publication days. They're my "publication day" school, and it makes me very happy.

    Your book will be out this time next year? Woo hoo! I'm really looking forward to it!

    And more congratulations to Keren David!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keren- Oh no! Maybe you'll just have to pretend your kids are your agent and publisher... Open a bottle of schloer? Hope you have a fabulous day anyway!

    Luisa- That's a lovely thing to do on pub day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aha...an online party! http://nayusreadingcorner.blogspot.com/2010/01/keren-davids-when-i-was-joe-online.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. A party you can attend in your PJs? Now that's my kind of party! (Not that I'm wearing my PJs... ahem...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heehee! The party is great fun - as is the book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know but I think it should involve a reading from your book. Some balloons and a big cake that has the cover of your book on it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Becky- A cake with the cover on is an awesome idea! Now... if only I could think of a title!

    ReplyDelete